Matthew 16 QuestionsDay 1
1. Read Matthew 16:1-4. Where did Jesus' testing/temptation come from in this passage of Scripture?
2. What kind of testing was it? What was the goal of the testing?
3. What was Jesus basically saying about the Pharisees & Sadducees in Matthew 16:2-3?
4. Did Jesus give a sign? Why or why not?
5. What did Jesus do after talking to the Pharisees and Sadducees?
6. Read Matthew 16:5-12. a) What did Jesus tell his disciples to be careful about? What did they think Jesus meant?
b) What had Jesus meant? (see also Luke 12:1; Acts 23:8) Why didn't they get it right the first time?
7. a) Do you ever find yourself being caught up with the physical and temporal like the disciples were, forgetting where our real focus should be?
b) Do you ever find that you have a short spiritual attention span and it's easy to lose sight of our spiritual vision?
c) Have you allowed legalism or materialism to creep into your life causing you to be like the Pharisees or Sadducees?
8. Read Matthew 16:13-20. Where did Jesus go with his disciples? Where is that?
9. a)What important question did Jesus ask his disciples? This was like the final examination for the disciples.
b) What answer did the disciples give Jesus?
c) What answer did Peter give? Who had revealed to Peter the right answer?
d) As a result, what promise did Jesus give Simon, son of Jonah?
10. Who is building the church and on what would Jesus build it?
11. This is the first time Jesus uses the word church. What does it mean? What do we learn about the church from this passage?
12. What did Jesus warn his disciples about? Why?
13. Who do you say Jesus is?
14. Read Matthew 16:21-28. From this time on, what will we be hearing a lot about from Jesus? What did Jesus need to do?
Why was this plan so necessary?
15. Which disciple responded to what Jesus said would happen to Him? What did he say?
16. Do you ever hold on to your own ideas and insist on your own way when you don't understand something, instead of conforming to the Lords ways and thoughts? Have you ever contradicted the Lord? What happens when we do that?
17. What did Jesus tell Peter he was doing in speaking his own thoughts and ideas?
18. Have you ever become a prey for Satan's trap? How do we get ourselves trapped? How can we prevent that?
19. What lesson can we learn from Matthew 16:24, 25
20. What does Jesus expect of us if we want to be His follower/disciple?
21. What is the paradox in Matthew 16:25, 26? What does Jesus mean?
22. Are you willing to deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Christ 100%? What would that look like for you?
23. In Matthew 16:27 we hear the first time about the second coming of Jesus. What do we learn about it?
24. What do you think Matthew 16:28 means?