Matthew 28 Questions and Answers
1. Why do we worship on the first day of the week instead of the Sabbath?
2. Who were the first witnesses to Jesus' resurrection? (Read also Mark 16:1-11; Luke 24:1-12; John 20:1-18)
3. Why do you think God sent an angel to roll away the stone from in front of the tomb?
4. What very clear messages did the angel give the women who came to the tomb?
5. What did the angel look like?
6. What emotions did those who heard that Jesus was alive experience? Read also Matthew 28:11-15
7. Who believed and who didn't believe that Jesus was risen from the dead? (Read also vs. 11-15)
8. How many guards went to report to the leading priests about what happened at the tomb?
9. What story was given for Jesus' unexpected disappearance from the tomb? What was the truth? (Romans 8:11; Acts 2:24; John 10:17 -18)
10. If the story that was circulating was the truth, what would have happened to the guards?
11. Everyone will have some kind of response to the Resurrection of Jesus. Some may reject it because it doesn't fit human reasoning, some of will refuse to believe it, some will have doubts and questions about the resurrection, some couldn't care less and are not interested, some may not even know about the resurrection, some may be hostile to the resurrection story and try to discredit it, and some will believe and apply the reality of the resurrection to their way of life. What is your response? How does that affect your life?
12. Why is it important that we know that Jesus was resurrected? (Read 2 Corinthians 4:14; 1 Corinthians 15:13-19)
13. Read Matthew 28:16-20. What was the first thing the disciples did when the saw Jesus at the place where He told them to go?
14. What did Jesus mean when He said all authority had been given to Him? Who gave Him that authority?
15. What kind of authority did Christ have and pass on to us?
16. How are you submitting yourself to Jesus' authority?
Are you applying the authority Jesus has given you?
17. What was the command that Jesus gave to his disciples?
18. What promise did Jesus give the disciples?
19. Are you a Jesus worshipper?
Are you a disciple taking your orders from Jesus? What does it mean to be a disciple?
Are you making disciples and teaching them to obey Jesus? Are you consciously discipling your children or grandchildren?
20. We have studied Matthew in detail but overall what are some key lessons you learned from the Gospel of Matthew personally? Has anything in particular made an impression on you or made a difference in your life?