Matthew 5:1-12 QuestionsDay 1
1. Read Matthew 5:1-2. Where did Jesus choose to teach? Who was he teaching? Why did He start teaching?
2. What is the theme of Matthew 5:3-12?
3. What does the word "blessed" mean?
4. What does the world think will make a person happy? Does it? What makes you happy?
5. Fill in the chart
|What are the qualities God blesses?||What is their reward?|
6. Read Matthew 5:3. What does it mean to be poor in spirit? ( Isaiah 66:2; Psalm 51:17)
7. What is a Biblical example of being poor in spirit?
8. What does "for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" mean? What will the Kingdom of Heaven be like? ( Romans 14:17)
9. Read Matthew 5:4. What does the word "mourn" refer to? What kind of mourning is it talking about? ( 2 Corinthians 7:10; Jeremiah 9:1)
10. What are some Biblical examples of the kind of mourning talked about in Matthew 5:4?
11. What/who comforts us? In what way? ( John 14:26; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
12. Read Matthew 5:5. What does the world think is meekness?
What does the Bible say about those who are meek? ( Numbers 12:1-14; Matthew 11:28-30)
13. What qualities are evident in people who are meek? Are you this kind of person?
14. What are the rewards God has for those who are meek?
15. What does it mean that we will inherit the earth?
16. Read Matthew 5:6. What does it mean to hunger & thirst for righteousness?
17. What are some Biblical examples of hungering and thirsting for righteousness ?
18. What will characterize a person's life or my life if I am hungering and thirsting for righteousness?
19. What is the result of hungering and thirsting for righteousness? What are we filled with?
20 Read Matthew 5:7. What is the meaning of being merciful? What is a merciful person like?(Read also Matthew 25:41-45)
21. What are some Biblical examples of mercy?
22. If I am a merciful person, what are some of the things I would be doing?
23. What promise is made to the merciful and what does that mean?
24. Read Matthew 5:8. What is the prerequisite to seeing God?
25. What is the meaning of the word "heart" in Scripture? ( Mark 7:20-23)
26. What is the Meaning of the word "Pure"? ( Jeremiah 32:39)
27. What are some Biblical examples of a pure heart? ( Leviticus 19:2; Acts 13:22)
28. How can I be pure in heart? ( I John 1:7, 9; James 4:4, 8)
29. What promise is made to the pure in heart?
30. Have you seen God or the glory of God with your spiritual eyes? Where? When? In what way?
31. Read Matthew 5:9. What is the meaning of peace? Where is real peace found? ( John 16:33)
32. Why don't we have peace in this world? ( James 4:1)
33. How can we experience God's peace? ( Philippians 4:6-7)
34. What is meant by being a "peacemaker"? What would a peacemaker do? ( 2 Corinthians 5:17-18)
35. What are some Biblical examples of peacemakers?
36. What is God's promise to peacemakers?
37. How does God view His children? What privileges do we have as His children?
38. Read Matthew 5:10-12. What are some Biblical examples of godly people who were persecuted, insulted or falsely accused for righteousness sake?
39. What kinds of persecution may Christians in Canada or around the world face today? Are you experiencing any kinds of persecution?
40. Who will be persecuted? ( 2 Timothy 3:12)
41. If becoming a follower of Jesus makes us better people, then why are we persecuted?( John 15:18-19)
42. What should be our attitude if we are faced with persecution? Why? ( Hebrews 11:32-40)
43. What is the promise Christ made to the persecuted?
44. Do you think the world understands, accepts or respects Christ's definition of happiness or those who live by the beatitudes? Why or why not?
45. How about you…Are you experiencing true happiness and blessings God's way or do you feel the standards are too high? God doesn't lower His standards to accommodate us but we can ask Christ to enable us to meet God's standards. Now that you understand what each of the beatitudes means, let's go to the chart on the first page and do a personal checklist to see how we are doing. My prayer is that you are or will experience each of the blessings that God has to offer us in the beatitudes!